Author::Becky Jacobs

Two Griffith parents were arrested after a 10-month-old boy was “repeatedly abused” and had nearly three dozen rib fractures and hemorrhaging, police said.

Rebekah Davis, 31, and Cashmere Mack Jones, 24, were each charged Friday in Lake Superior Court with neglect of a dependent resulting in serious bodily injury, court records show.

Griffith police and Indiana Department of Child Services were called Monday to Community Hospital in Munster after a baby was brought in with “multiple injuries in which child abuse was suspected,” a probable cause affidavit states.

Due to the extent of the juries, the baby was taken to the trauma unit at Comer Children’s Hospital in Chicago, court records state.

The boy had 35 rib fractures “of varying ages,” significant brain injuries, upper leg fractures, extensive bruising, blunt abdominal trauma and extensive retinal hemorrhages, the affidavit states.The injuries were indicative of Shaken Baby Syndrome and with being grabbed, Commander Keith Martin, Griffith police spokesman, said. The fractured ribs “are healing and could be weeks old,” according to the affidavit.

“There is no question of his diagnosis, he is a victim of repetitive abuse involving numerous mechanisms,” the affidavit states, and “this poor child was horrifically abused over a period of time.” “Sadly, his prognosis is very grim,” the affidavit states.

The child remains in the hospital in “critical condition with serious internal and external injuries,” Martin said. Jones and Davis were arrested Thursday at their Griffith home, Martin said.  “Neither parent admitted to any abuse of the child or to noticing any significant bruising or marking of the child,” Martin said.

The parents claimed “an obvious bruise on the child’s jaw was due to striking himself with a rattle,” police said. They also said “the child may have suffered an injury months ago when falling off of a bed, or by sleeping on his bottle,” according to Martin.

“When speaking of the episode which cause them to bring the baby to the hospital, Jones never attempted to call 911 but was administering CPR for appriximately 45 minutes,” Martin said.

Jones called Davis “who told him to take the baby to the baby’s grandfather who was present in the home and the decision was ultimately made to take the baby to the hospital,” police said.

“Doctors specializing in child abuse indicated that the statements made by the parents are inconsistent with the injuries of which they have observed on the child,” Martin said.

There was “no known medical care sought to treat the injuries which could have been life threatening,” he said.

Jones would take care of the child while Davis worked, court records state. Family members said Jones would tell the child to “shut the (expletive) up” and “would get angry when the child would wake him,” the affidavit states.

Four other children who have a different father were living at the home at the time and have since been removed by Child Protective Services, Martin said.

“There is no indication of abuse or neglect in the other children,” he said.

Read More




One Child Is Too Many

Join our mailing list to receive a weekly update of the top stories.

Thank you. You have successfully subscribed

Pin It on Pinterest

Help Spread The Word

Please share this post with your friends!

%d bloggers like this: