Author Tennyson Center for Children
If you see a child you know acting differently, it could be a sign of abuse or neglect.
When you have concerns for a child’s well-being, the indicators listed below may help guide you. Many of these signs could be caused by things other than abuse or neglect. However, these indicators can indicate that a child’s safety may be at risk and the situation should be assessed by a professional who is able to determine the causes of these symptoms and offer the help and assistance necessary to reduce the child’s risk.
Signs of Neglect*
- Lacks needed medical or dental care, immunizations, or glasses
- Is frequently absent from school
- Begs for or steals food or money
- Lacks sufficient clothing for the weather
- States that there is no one home to provide care
- Lacks adult supervision
Signs of Abuse
- Discloses maltreatment
- Is reluctant to be around a particular person
- Shows sudden changes in behavior or school performance
- Has unexplained bruises or injuries
Subscribe To OurWeekly Update
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.